Mechanically resistant to floods and water leaks
Thermal insulation EPS boards
Additional advantages of EPS
- excellent heat and sound insulation with excellent mechanical properties
- in the life cycle it does not change the shape and characteristics as some other kinds of insulation
- Styrofoam insulation is suitable for the entire building envelope (foundations, walls, roofs)
- ideal for the construction of low energy and passive houses
- Styrofoam has twice the water vapor permeability of wood; μEPS = 35 → μWOOD = 70
- all construction Styrofoam is self-extinguishing, in the facade system with enviable class E reaction to fire
- Styrofoam retains its superb performance during the lifetime of the building (60 years and more)
- low carbon dioxide emissions due to the thermal power
- easy processing (sanding, cutting, shaping)
- creation of special shapes and formats
- EPS granules - aggregate for lightweight concrete resistant to high mechanical loads
EPS - Expanded polystyrene
Styrofoam is a permanent thermal insulation
Energy-saving buildings and hi-quality living spaces can not even be imagine without expanded polystyrene (EPS). In the developed countries the situation is such that 90% of all facades are isolated with expanded polystyrene. In most structural assemblies due to its outstanding properties it is irreplaceable. It is used everywhere, where we need heat and sound insulation of walls, roofs, floors and other structural assemblies for all types of buildings.
How do the Styrofoam-covered walls "breathe"?
Pleasant insulation for health and the environment
With the term "breathing walls", the creators of commercials and all experts vividly describe the diffusion or penetration of water vapor from living spaces through the walls. Most problems with the moisture in areas with energy rehabilitation are due to the installation of new windows with effective sealing, which greatly reduces air exchange.
Fire, so what?
Expanded polystyrene is in construction in most EU countries recognized as a material that is self-extinguishing- an insulation which when under fire, although melting, must not allow the fire to spread. Façade systems insulated with expanded polystyrene, which is covered with reinforced plaster and finish, belong to the great class E of reaction to fire. All construction EPS boards are in accordance with EN 13501-1 in class E reaction to fire, or class B1 according to DIN 4102. („self-extinguishing materials”).
EPS in kindergartens, gas stations ...
From the aforementioned, it is obvious that there are many countries in the EU where 90% of all facades are insulated with façade Styrofoam. EPS facade insulation was often, without exaggeration, designed in a number of buildings for various purposes to a height of 22 meters; apartment blocks, health centers, schools, kindergartens and even gas stations!
EPS panels, water resistant
Styrofoam in the facades and flooring has many advantages over other insulation sensitive to water (leaking roofs, flooding, water used to put out fires ...). Styrofoam plates with total immersion in one month absorb less than 5% vol., such soaked plates simply dry out and still perform its insulating function. The allowed water absorption of EPS plates (X max. 40%) in the heating season on the facade is even 4x greater than fibrous insulation, where due to condensation there can be permanent damage! With sensitive materials in case of contact with water and excessive moisture, costly replacements of damaged surfaces are often needed.